Prof Mehedi Kalam is a Theoretical Astrophysicist. He is currently working on modeling of Neutron/Strange stars. He is also interested to construct Wormhole from different sources of the Universe. In 2010 he joined the Department of Physics, Aliah University, where he is currently a Professor of Physics. Earlier Dr. Kalam has served the Department of Physics, Netaji Nagar College for Women, Kolkata as Assistant Professor (Feb. 2004 - Sept. 2010) with the recommendation of the West Bengal College Service Commission. Teaching is his passion, he loves it and always try to learn.
B.Sc.(Hons) Jadavpur University 1995
M.Sc.(Physics) Jadavpur University 1997
Ph.D. Jadavpur University 2004
Lecturer in Physics : Netaji Nagar College for Women (27.02.04 to 26.02.08)
Sr. Lecturer in Physics: Netaji Nagar College for Women (27.02.08 to 30.11.09)
Head of the Department: Netaji Nagar College for Women (01.12.09 to 30.09.10)
Assistant Prof. of Physics: Aliah University, Kolkata (01.10.10 to 26.09.13)
Associate Prof. of Physics: Aliah University, Kolkata (27.09.13 to 15.12.15)
Professor of Physics: Aliah University, Kolkata (16.12.15 to till date)
Field of Specialization
General Theory of Relativity and Astrophysics
UG : PH 301: Quantum Mechanics – I Credit 4
PH 392: B.Sc. 3rd Year Lab Credit 4(2)
PG: PH 402: Electrodynamics – II Credit 4
PH 403: Advanced Classical Mechanics Credit 4
PH 506: General Relativity and Astrophysics Credit 4 (Compulsory Elective)
General Relativity, Cosmology, Compact (Neutron/Strange) Star and Wormhole Physics
Head of the Department Netaji Nagar College for Women
Vice-Chairman Aliah University Admission Test(AUAT) 2012
Vice-Chairman Aliah University Admission Test(AUAT) 2013
Chairman Aliah University Admission Test(AUAT) 2014
Chairman Aliah University Admission Test(AUAT) 2015
Head Department of Physics, Aliah University 01.07.15 to 31.10.17
Dean Faculty of Science & Technology, Aliah University 18.12.2018 to till date
Registrar (Acting) Aliah University 29.08.19 to 28.11.19
Conference Papers Published
Paper Presented in the Seminar:
1. “Gravitational field of Cosmic string with Semi- classical effects’’ in a National Seminar “Advances in Mathematical Sciences’’ Department of Mathematics, under the auspices of UGC-DSA programme in Mathematics and Centre for Mathematical Biology & Ecology, Jadavpur University, Kol-32, March 21-22 , 2003.
2. “A Study of global monopole in Einstein – Cartan theory based on Lyra Geometry’’ in a National Seminar named “National Seminar on Mathematics and its applications’’ Department of Mathematics, Bengal Engineering College, Kolkata, March 27 , 2004 .
3. “Higher dimensional global monopole with Cosmological term’’ in a National Conference on “Mathematical Analysis and Applications” Department of Mathematics, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, March 1 , 2005
4. “Thin Domain Walls in Lyra Geometry’’ in a National Seminar on “Applicable Mathematics’’ held in Department Mathematics, Jadavpur University , Kolkata, March 23-24 , 2006 .
5. “Wormhole with varying Cosmological Constant’’ in 14thWest Bengal Science Congress held in Jadavpur University, Kol-32 , during February, 28 – March, 01, 2007.
6. “Perfect fluid dark matter” in the International Workshop on Dark Energy held at the Center For Theoretical Physics, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi during 21st to 23rd December, 2011.
7. “Gravitational Wave Data Analysis” BITS-Pilani, K. K. Birla Goa Campus, Goa 17-21 December, 2012.
8. “Galactic rotation curves and strange quark matter with observational constraints’’ in a National Conference on High Energy mission from Active Galactic Nuclei held in Deptt. of Physics, University of Kashmir , Srinagar in collaboration with BARC,Mumbai and ISRO, Govt. of India during October 7-9, 2013 .
9. “Anisotropic Quintessence Stars’’ in an International Conference on Recent Advances in Mathematics held in the Department of Mathematics, Nagpur University, Nagpur during January 20-23 , 2014.
Journal Papers Published
For publication please click: (https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=g4vN2j4AAAAJ
[ Total Citation ~ 1287, h-index =22, Researchgate Score = 31.14 ]
 Visiting Associate of IUCAA, Pune (under UGC) for the period 2010-13, 2013-16, 2016-19 and 2019-22.
 Visiting Associate of IMSc,Chennai (under DAE) for the period 2014-17.
 TWAS-UNESCO Associateship Award for the period 2015-18.
Ph.D. Thesis Guidance
Swarnendu Mandal “Gravitational aspects of different topological defects in four and higher dimensional spacetime” Jadavpur University 2009 (Co-guide: Dr. F. Rahaman)
Pralhad Ghosh “Some classical and semi-classical aspects of different topological defects” Jadavpur University 2010 (Co-guide: Dr. F. Rahaman)
Ashis Kr. Ghosh “On some theoretical perspective of Wormholes and Black holes” Jadavpur University 2010 (Co-guide: Dr. F. Rahaman)
Noor Farhad “Mathematical modeling of some Compact Objects” Aliah University 2017 (Co-guide: Dr. Sk. M. Hossein)
Shajahan Molla “Theoretical study of Compact Star in General Relativity” Aliah University 2017
Rabiul Islam “Compact Stars in low-mass X-ray binaries” Aliah University ( From 2014 onwards)
Bidisha Ghosh “Rotating Neutron Star” Aliah University ( From 2017 onwards)
Masum Murshid "Course Work completed" Aliah University (From 2018 onwards)
Nilofar Rahman "Course Work completed" Aliah University (From 2018 onwards)
MASTER Thesis Guidance
Happy Mondal "Life cycle of a star"
Saheli Haque "Maximum mass in 2+1 compact stars"
Abu Kausar Nasir "Geometical structure of warmhole in Creation field (C)"
Sayan Mukherjee "Quintessence as a source of gravstar"
Sk. Shaharukh "Equation of state of neutron star"
Sk Md Ali Imtiaz "Compact star in Finch-Skea metric"
Sudipta Jana "Comprative study of compact star: a relativistic approach"
Jajirina Parvin "Chaplygin Wormhole"
Akhtari Banu "Geodesic of a test particle in a charged Brane-World Blackhole"
Tania Parveen "Galactic Rotation Curves and Strange Quark Matter"
Project Supervised :
 SERC FAST TRACK PROJECT FOR YOUNG SCIENTISTS, 2009
DST, Govt. of India (Title of the Project: Perspective of topological defects, Black hole, wormholes and star models in general relativity ) .
 UGC Minor Research Project (18/04/2006-17/04/2008)
UGC, Govt. of India (Title of the Project: Theoretical Study of Topological Defects & wormholes)
 Prof.A DeBenedictis (Simon Fraser University,Canada)
 Prof. A.I. Filippov (Bashkir State Pedagogical University, Russia)
 Prof. I Radinshi (“Gh. Asachi” Technical University, Romania )
 Prof. P K F Kuhfittig(Milwaukee School of Engineering, Milwaukee, USA)
 Dr. M Jamil (NUST, Rawalpindi, Pakistan)
 Dr. H Haghi (Institute of Advanced Studies in Basic Sciences (IASBS), Zanjan, Iran)
1. Delivered an invited talk on “Wormhole and Exotic Matter” in an Astronomy meet at Institute for Advance Studies in Basic Sciences(IASBS), Zanjan, Iran during the visit as TWAS-UNESCO Associates from 2nd May-30th May,2018.
2. Delivered an invited talk on “Perspective of Relativistic Approach on Neutron Stars/Strange stars ” in a National Workshop on “Recent Advances in Astrophysics & Cosmology” organized by Department of Physics, Cooch Behar Panchanan Barma University and IUCAA Resource Centre, North
Bengal University on 9th - 10th Oct., 2018.
3. Delivered an invited talk on “Theory of Relativity , Wormhole and Exotic Matter” in a UGC sponsored Refresher Course on “Recent development in Physics : Theory and Experiment” organized by Department of Physics, Jadavpur University, Kolkata on 27th November, 2018.
4. Delivered an invited talk on “Introduction to the Theory of Relativity and Wormhole” in a National Seminar on “Celebrate the National Science Day” organized by Netaji Nagar College for Women, Kolkata on 28th Feb, 2019.
5. Delivered Prof. K. C kar Memorial Lecture on “A Relativistic Approch on Compact Stars” - Organized by Calcutta Institute of Theoretical Physics in Collaboration with Calcutta Mathematical Society, Kolkata, on 4th March,2017.
6. Delivered an invited talk on “Introduction to theory of relativity” in Dinhata College, Coochbehar, 20th December, 2016.
7. Delivered an invited talk on “Compact Stars with de Sitter spacetime” in Institute for Advance Studies in Basic Sciences (IASBS), Zanjan, Iran during my visit as TWAS-UNESCO Associates from 23rd May-21st June,2016.
8. Delivered an invited talk on “Sigularity-free Compact Stars” in the IUCAA Associates’ Fest 2012 held at Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA), Pune during 25th to 29th June, 2012.
9. Visited IUCAA Reference Centre, Deptt. of Physics, North Bengal University,Siliguri,West Bengal from Feb. 09 to Feb. 13, 2008 and delivered an invited talk on “ Negative energy, Wormholes and Time Machine’’.
Membership Of Learned Societies
1. Life Member of Indian Association for General Relativity and Gravitation (IAGRG).
2. Life Member of Calcutta Institute of Theoretical Physics.
Convener of Seminar :
 UGC Sponsored seminar on Excitements in Physics and Astrophysics at Netaji Nagar College for Women, Kollkata 20th September , 2008.
 Workshop on Introductory Workshop on Astrophysics and Cosmology in collaboration with IUCAA, Pune at Aliah University, Newtown Campus, Kolkata , 27th – 28th September , 2016.
1. Chaired a session on an International Workshop on “Advanced in Astroparticle Physics and Cosmology, AAPCOS-2018” on the occasion of the 125th birth anniversary of Prof. Meghnad Saha at Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics (SINP), Kolkata during 6th - 9th March, 2018.
2. Chaired a session on a National Workshop on “Recent Advances in Astrophysics & Cosmology” organized by Department of Physics, Cooch Behar Panchanan Barma University and IUCAA Resource Centre, North Bengal University on 9th - 10th Oct., 2018.
3. Chaired a session in a seminar on “Recent trends in Modern Physics” at Dept. of Physics, Aliah University, Kolkata on Feb. 19, 2014.
4. Chaired a session on a “National Conference on Atomic Molecular and Nano Sciences(NCAMNS-2019)” organized by Department of Physics, Aliah
University , Kolkata on April 3-4, 2019.
Other Notable Activities
Reviewer of Research Journals:
 Int. J. Theor. Phys.
 Astrophysics Space Sc.
 Int.J.Mathematics and Mathematical Sc.
 Canadian Journal of Physics
 Modern Physics Letter A
 Classical and Quantum Gravity